I signed up for Kristen Kieffer’s free email course, Rock Your Writing Practice, and am going to blog through the daily homework here as a way to hold myself accountable.
- In what way am I dissatisfied with my current writing practice?
- I want my writing to be the priority in my life and take precedence. I’ve been working on the draft of my novel going on eight years. The writing process has been haphazard and highly disorganized. I need to develop a better routine to 1) actually complete it; and 2) better envision the plot as I’ve just been writing the scenes I want to write and not actually working through the plot chronologically.
- What does my version of an ideal writing life look like?
- Since I currently have a full-time job (and need to keep it), I would ideally like to spend 1-2 hours an evening after work on writing in some fashion (whether it’s brainstorming, editing, free writing, plotting, etc) and 4-5 hours a day on weekends.
- Why do I want to pursue this version of success?
- I eventually want to write full-time. It’s what I’ve always wanted to do. Storytelling is what makes me happiest. I just need to shift my current life balance in order to prioritize what I’ve always wanted to do.